Wither by Lauren DeStefano

1:25 AM

Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)Title: Wither
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Release: March 22, 2011
Pages: 358
Series: The Chemical Garden #1
Synopsis:
Obviously, something went terribly wrong. Genetic mutations have festered, reducing human longevity to twenty-five, even less for most women. To prevent extinction, young girls are kidnapped, mated in polygamous marriages with men eager to procreate. Sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery, a recent victim of this breeding farm mentality, has vowed to break loose from its fetters; but finding allies and a safe way out is a challenge she can only hope she will survive.

Review:
Wither has been a book that I have been dying to get my hands on. Although I was not a fan of the cover, I had heard such great things about it that I decided to pick it up from my local bookstore upon their recommendation, and am I ever glad I did so! At the beginning of the book I was a little irked by some of the themes covered (to be spoiler free, I won't mention those) but as I continued to read, I found myself able to overcome that sensation by means of the quality of the book. The writing was great, though at times a bit repetitive. I also found Rhine to be a bit frustrating because of her constant changes of heart. On the other hand, I was also refreshed to find that the protagonist wasn't perfect. The plot moved fairly fast, with a few slow points here and there. I would recommend this book to mature teen readers who enjoy dystopian books. Overall, there were so many questions left unanswered and such a cliffhanger ending that I will be for sure be going to get Fever when it comes out, but until then, Wither gets a 4/5.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I LOVED this one. One of my favorite reads of the year.

    Stopping by from Follow Friday, new follower here! Loved your superhero...librarians really are, aren't they?!

    Cheers,
    Ems
    http://ems-reviews-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous blog!! And I felt almost the same about Wither:)

    I'm a new follower!!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one on my shelf waiting TBR. New Follower hopping thru for FF. Have a great weekend and Check out my response at Gimme The Scoop Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Congrats making the feature in Friday Follow!
    New Follower. Come see my Alter-ego & 2 Awesome Giveaways! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!! Hopping over from Alison Can Read's site... congrats on the FF!! New follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. Congrats making the fearture in Friday Follow!

    New Follwer

    http://curseofthebibliophile.blogspot.com/?zx=53ebe7be875b3095

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader