Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

12:57 AM

Thirteen Reasons WhyTitle: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Publisher: Razorbill
Release: October 18, 2007
Pages: 288
Series: None
Synopsis:
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.
Review:
Before reading this book, I had heard phenomenal things about how raw and emotional it was. So when I saw it in a store I knew it was time for me to read it. After completing this hugely emotional book, I found myself so stricken by all the emotions Clay went through. The only downside I found in this entire book is that I didn't see more of other characters interacting with Clay. I would have preferred a little more character interaction. Other than that, I found this book to be emotionally thrilling, while covering a topic that most either ignore or tip toe around. I love that, as the reader, you are able to take such a clear look into both Hannah and Clay's heads with only one true point of view. On a note separate from the actual story, I loved the use of tapes and how original the whole novel turned out to be. Altogether, I would highly recommend this book to all teens to get a different perspective on what life truly means. Thirteen Reasons Why gets a 4.5/5 for covering such a dark piece of subject matter with grace and dignity without tip toeing around it at all.


 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. My brother loves to read books in his free time. And after reading your post I think that this is the best book to gift him on his Birthday. Really nice analogy. I like the review.

    Watch Movies Online

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader