Eve by Anna Carey

12:31 AM

Eve (The Eve Trilogy, #1)Title: Eve
Author: Anna Carey
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release: October 4, 2011
Pages: 320
Series: The Eve Trilogy #1
THANKS TO HARPERCOLLINS CANADA FOR THE REVIEW COPY.
Synopsis:
Where do you go when nowhere is safe?
 
Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth’s population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school’s real purpose—and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust . . . and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

Review:
So as you may have noticed, I am a huge fan of distopian books. They can be so diverse and varied from one another, and that variety is one of the things I adore about this genre. So, when I saw Eve for the first time on Goodreads and read the synopsis, I was hooked. I felt a draw to this book and when I entered the realm of Eve, I had a very troublesome time tearing myself from the final page.

The cover of Eve sparks many questions in the reader's mind. First it was the obvious questions such as; Who is this girl? What or who is she running from? Where is she? After these questions, the beauty of the cover began to really set in for me. I love the fact that it is not completely black or dark, but it does convey the dark, troubled feeling of the book. Also, I just love the font the title is in. The cover came together beautifully with all of it's different aspects.

In my opinion, good characters make you feel emotions for them and with them. The main character Eve made you feel for her, think about her and wonder what her life was like in comparison to your own. Eve also featured strong characteristics, she was able to adapt to different situations. Eve's love interest was intriguing because of just how different the world he came from was from Eve's. One of the most interesting aspects of this story was how the relationships formed so much differently from how they do for most books. I quite enjoyed how the relationships played out between all of the characters, whether romantically or just as friends. Altogether, reading about these characters was very entertaining and interesting to do.

The world built in Eve was believable and totally different at the same time. The writing described the setting in a way that made it understandable to the reader as well as keeping a bit of a foreign feel to it that is crucial to dystopian books. It was this balance that really made the setting really pop for me. The writing was very descriptive and informative, making sure that the reader knew all about the characters and their motives behind their actions. When it came to the plot of Eve, it kept moving at a swift pace, taking you from one event to another without delay.

How could I sum up my feelings about Eve? The first word that comes to mind is awesome. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes dystopian or someone who has yet to try out the genre. Without a doubt I would give Eve a 5/5.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Totally loving the look of this book, also a big fan of dystopian and post apocalyptic books and there's so many around at the moment! If you haven't read them yet I would definitely recommend Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick and Blood Red Road by Moria Young, two of the best books I've read this year in this genre.
    Going to seek out Eve now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is one of the few positive reviews I have seen for this post-apocalyptic book. Great review, but I have to agree to disagree because I loved the world in this book, but I definitely did not feel for Eve, especially after about 85% through the book when she made the most selfish, naive, stupid decisions from there on out. Still, I may read the rest of the trilogy when it is available because, hey, I hate Bella, but I still read the Twilight books. :)


    Amber
    The Musings of ALMYBNENR

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader