City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

1:25 PM

Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Release: March 27, 2007
Rating: 4/5
Pages: 485
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Synopsis:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....


Review:
So it took me forever to read this book. I'm really not sure why I took that long to read this book. But it took me over a month between reading other books and occasionally picking up this one. Though when I did pick it up the last time I finished it and was pleasantly surprised by some of the twists and turns that the plot took that I could never have seen coming.

The cover for City of Bones, in fact the whole series, is just attention grabbing. It's also intriguing at the same time. The fact that you can't see the model's face and he's just covered in glowing tattoos really add to the intrigue. And the cover is even cooler when you can touch it, as it has a certain shine to it that just adds to the effects.

The writing for this book is great and chock full of description, but what's really great about the description is the way it's so different and it really makes you think about what that room would have been like or how the glamour appeared to Clary. It makes for a very interesting read. Now for the part I wasn't as keen on; the story. The story is where I stumble a little bit as it just didn't hold my attention well. I would find myself wishing I was reading another book while reading this one. That being said, towards the end (the last just over one hundred pages) the plot really started to grip me and keep me reading. And the twist at the end definitely, in my opinion, brought this book up from a 3/5 to a 4/5.

The characters in this book are completely relate-able. That being said, there were some characters in the book that were over the top, and they were purposely designed that way but characters like Clary and Simon were just regular people like me and you. But then enter Jace- he was cocky, arrogant and funny. Overall, he did hold appeal for me as a love interest, and he never failed to make me laugh.

When it comes to The Mortal Instruments Series, I will continue based on the fact that there were major twists and turns and the ending was surprising and good. I have the second book and it is in my To Be Read pile. But for now, City of Bones gets a 4/5 overall.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I thought this series got better with later books so definitely don't give up on it! I know what you mean about some characters being a bit over the top. I felt the same way at first, too, but over time I grew to love all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I just recently finished this book and I must say, I am HOOKED. Especially on Jace… what can I say, I’m a hopeless romantic :) haha! Don’t judge me! I cant wait to see what you think of book 2.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader