Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

7:40 PM

Title: Shiver
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic
Rating: 3.5/5
Release: August 1, 2009
Pages: 390
Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1
Synopsis:
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf - her wolf - is a haunting presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human -- until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears and the temperature drops, Sam must fight to stay human or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

Review:
Yes, it's about werewolves. I just thought I should put that out there now so that those of you with an opposition to werewolves because you're 'Team Edward' can leave. Now that you know that (if you couldn't guess from the summary :P) we can get on with the review.

Sam was only OK to me. As a love interest, I feel that the reader should understand the attraction to another character. I didn't understand why Grace liked him at all. He watched her get attacked and bitten by his own pack and then he shows up and everything is just perfect. I mean she watched for him every night out of her window in the winter and I felt she did it for the wrong reason. If it had been me, I would have watched in fear, not in curiosity. That brings us to Grace. I just couldn't relate with her. She was very no-nonsense it stated how she didn't like fiction because it was too unreal. When I read, I really like to be able to relate to the main character, if I can't it greatly takes away from my reading experience.

If you guys haven't noticed, I buy books for their covers a lot of the time. I don't like to read a book that I don't like the cover of because it kind of ruins it for me. Especially if the main character is on a cover and I don't like it, that will drive me nuts. But that wasn't the case with these books. I just love the covers! They are simple yet they say a lot. And the coolest part is that each book is printed in their respective colours! Meaning Shiver is printed all in blue ink and Linger is printed all in green ink. And I'll bet that Forever will be printed in red-ish ink too. I really like the uniqueness that printing the book in colour gives it. The thing that threw me off on this cover, was that the title reminds me a lot of the Twilight font. See just look at it. It does doesn't it? Yes, I so told you so.

In this book, I felt like it was just a cute read and nothing really serious. It didn't stand out from a lot of other books. Just the whole forbidden love thing going on and it's a small town and all. Just really rung some bells. I really didn't mind the story at all, it was only the characters weren't my favorite ever, but they weren't the worst I've ever read either.

And so overall, this book was pretty good. I liked the story line and the pace it was set at. That's why this book get's a 3.5/5.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I liked this better than Twilight personally. We have different editions of the book over here (UK) all black and white and just a bit of red. I didn't realise the text was printed in coloured ink - that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I quite fancy the UK covers! they're soo pretty with just the black white and red. And it didn't even cross my mind that they might not print the text in color everywhere! Huh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader