The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

8:11 PM

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic
Release: October 1, 2008
Rating: 5/5
Pages: 374
Series: The Hunger Games Trilogy
Synopsis:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before--and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


Review:
Originally a friend raved about this book to me and told me I just had to get it. I ignored her. That was a huge mistake, now that I know what I was missing out on before. She told me the synopsis and I only kind of wanted to read it. How crazy was I? Anyway, after reading numerous great reviews for this book, I thought 'Fine, I'll read it because everyone says it's so great.'. That is when my obsession began.

The cover for this book probably won't hold any meaning or not make sense to you til you've read the book. The bird and arrow and whole idea of the cover comes from the character Katniss and an event that happens along the storyline. Once you've read this book, it make perfect sense, don't worry. But once I understood, I simply fell In love with this cover. It's so simplistic and yet it tells so much about the main character and the story that it's shocking. I also love the colour scheme of this book. The gold and black and red go so well together and the font on top of all that is really well matched to the story and it's violent and slightly war like feel. I just love the cover.

The setting and writing were just beautiful. There is no way that this book could be improved in my opinion. The author made all these little facts along the way turn out to be super important later and she had this way of making it so you wouldn't know the ending until you got to it that really had me impressed. Then there were all the twists and turns and trials that she threw in just when you thought that Katniss was safe. It was a whirlwind of emotions including everything from sadness to anger and everywhere in between. It was such a great ride that I wish there were more books than there is just so I could read more and more about Katniss and Peeta's adventures.

All the characters were perfect for their time and setting. Out of the two boys my favorite was by far Peeta. Even though he seemed to betray Katniss at first, in the end he really came through for her and was willing to give his life for hers in a heartbeat. Then there was poor Gale. I felt bad for him when Peeta was winning Katniss's affection over him on national TV. That must have been so hard for him. But Gale kept fighting for Katniss through and through and he never gave up. That's something I admire in a character, when they have this determination. And Katniss. Poor, poor Katniss. She had to go through the Hunger Games to save Prim, her sister, from the almost sure death that ensues playing them. She had the bravery to step up and take Prim's place and pretty much give her life for Prim's. That just amazed me. The strength that was Katniss was truly remarkable and it made for a great main character. And all the names used in this story were just so unique and cool. I just adore them.

All in all, this is one of my all time favorite books and I have no doubt in my mind that it will go on to be a classic for sure. That's why it gets a tremendous 5/5 indefinitely.

PS: Can't get your Hunger Games fix? Watch for the movie and details online.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I think a lot of people have picked up this book not expecting to like it and then been blown away. I was one. I don't think I've read any negative reviews at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader